Metro Cammell class 101 NE 50211 (Drivers Cab only)
51211, 59306 and 50153 at Middlesbrough working the 15.22 Whitby - Darlington service 10/8/1982 Photo A Wass
101 657 (53211) at Manchester Piccadilly. S Howarth
Ordered in early 1955, as one of a batch of 339 vehicles for the Eastern and Midland regions, NE 50211 was built as a class 101 Driving Motor Brake Second by Metro-Cammell of Birmingham. It had 52 second class seats and a guards van. The design of the cab front was modified whilst it was being built, changing from four marker lights, to two with a two character train describer. The outline of the plated over top light can still be seen in the above photograph.
Initially allocated to Sunderland Depot on 28/5/1957 and immediately loaned to Newton Heath Depot (Manchester) in June, it entered traffic in August of that year back at Sunderland depot. Moving to South Gosforth a year later. But by 1959 it had transferred to Darlington, being used on Richmond and Crook branch trains, Durham - Bishop Auckland services, and also on Darlington - Middleton-in-Teesside trains. Then returning to South Gosforth in January 1959 and back to Darlington four months later! Becoming E 50211 in January 1965 with the demise of the North Eastern Region, it remained in Darlington until March 1971 when it returned to South Gosforth and carried the unofficial name Bobby Shaftoe. The car was then transferred to Heaton depot in July 1978, undergoing refurbishment at Doncaster works in 1982, before being stored at Bradford Hammerton St Depot in early 1983, and being renumbering to E 53211 in April (to avoid confusion with class 50 locomotives) Following by a brief stay at Neville Hill in the early 1990’s it became 53211, losing its ‘E’ prefix with the abolition of British Rail’s regions. Ownership was transferred to Angel Trains upon the privatisation of British Rail, followed by a final move back to Manchester (Longsight) in 1995. Overhauled in July 1998, it was out of use by July 2000, requiring tyre turning, but was back in service on May 4th 2001, being sandwiched between 54085 and 51463 in a 'power triple' formation working to Marple and Rose Hill. This make it one of the last class 101's to have operated on the mainline. After 44 years service, 53211 was withdrawn in January 2002 and scrapped in December 2003 by JT Landscapes at MoD Caerwent, South Wales.
Fortunately, the cab had been carefully removed, and is under restoration. Most of the drivers controls have been refurbished and are ready to be refitted when the cab is restored (see the news section) This is being done as a trial run for the restoration on M56160.